PO ROMÊ TOWER, PANDURANGA (Ninh Thuan Province)

Author: Dave Paulson

Constructed during the 17th century, Po Romê is the last major tower built during the #Champa civilization, which spread throughout central Vietnam from the 2nd to 19th centuries. Archeologists and contemporary architects are still confounded by the indigenous #engineering of these structures (cf. Hardy et al. 2009). The main entrance faces east, a sacred direction for the Cham, and is adorned with the statue of #Shiva. This particular tower was built for worshipping King Po Romê (1627—1651), who is accredited by some for introducing the notions of Aheir and Awal into Cham cultural #philosophy (Yasuko 2010). Built in sun-dried red-brick clay, these famous towers endure into the present and function as holy sites for contemporary religious practice. Continue reading